My Dear Jane Journal

I have moved all the posts for my "Dear Jane" quilt to a separate Blog.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Geek Mittens Chart

These mittens were partially inspired by the Binary scarf featured in Knitty, Winter 2006.



I have had several request for the chart on Ravelry.
Note the disclaimer on the chart. For personal use only, not resale.
Gray areas on chart are not used in Knitting. Gray outlines the mitten shape.

I forgot to note that I cast on and knit the cuff with a size US 1 dpns switching to size US 2 for the increase rounds and the rest of the mitten. (The mitten pictured was my test mitten and I changed the cuff on my next mitten to use the two different needle sizes.)(green and white because that is what I had leftover from something else.) The worsted weight yarn makes a very thick mitten. This was my first mitten so it probably has a lot of room for improvement.



(Click on the image to get the larger version.)



Edited on June 24th, 2008: A big "Thank You" to Lime and Violet The Daily Chum, for mentioning my mittens!
And the pattern is still a little ruff so if you have a question or suggestion please leave me a note.


Edited on June 25th, 2008: Thanks to Craft for Sharing my Mittens! here

Edited 7-03-08:

Do want to make your own words? go here
(scroll down the page until you see the table for ASCII printable characters)

9 comments:

PinkPorcupine said...

OH. EMM. GEE. I must make these for my Linux-obsessed hubby!!!

Jessie Blum @ Eclectic Unions said...

My boyfriend is going to go crazy for these!!

AJ Bindel said...

Saw this AMAZING project on the CRAFT blog! My husband is a big Linux lover, but I'm not sure how much he'd like mittens. So I'm going to make these for my toddler for this winter. Hubby will LOVE that! Thanks for sharing a great pattern!

Anonymous said...

super cute11!!1 (The 1's are because the shift key on my machine is busted, lol, not b/c i'm l33t.)

thank you for posting the chart.

Sarah O G said...

So i would like to make these for my friend, but I don't want to have I love you, how do I find out binary for something like YOU ROCK ???

Sarah O G said...

So two ?s 1st: why green and white? 2nd: why doesn't the numbers on the thumbs match am I reading the pattern wrong?

Liz said...

Is Tux's background supposed to look like the Portal companion cube? Because it so does. Way to stealth in another layer of geekiness!

EWian said...

Grate mittens!!!
Will try to find the time to make this, I have multiple Linux lovers inn my family, not just boys/men!!!
Thanx for sharing!

EWian

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this. Will save me a lots of time cause I don't have to work out the Tux chart myself. Will knit socks from this soon, binary code will be my bf's name.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin